Friday, December 7, 2012

A MESSAGE FROM ANGUS

Angus and Ivor

Yesterday morning, I received an email from our 22-year-old nephew Angus, who lives in Kingston.  Angus is one of those rare people who does an astonishing number of things extremely well.  At eleven, he was a violinist with the Sault Symphony Orchestra.  He is a bagpiper and a trumpeter, a commercial pilot, a graduate of Algonquin College in Aviation Management. He was a member of the musical group The Tangible Ears, the Garrison Band, he currently performs with the Queen's University marching band, he is an instructor at an Air Cadet squadron in Kingston and has spent several summers as a member of the Fort Henry Guard.  Another thing he does well is wear Ivaan's favourite items of clothing.  They shared a lot, including a shoe size, and Angus has inherited Ivaan's beloved sheepskin bomber jacket and his black leather jacket with Ivaan's signature in red chenille lettering on the back, both of which he wears with pride and considerable panache.  He is a mentor to his 14 year old brother, Ivor, no slouch himself in the accomplishments department, who is among other things an accomplished violinist at Canta Arya School For Strings, an Air Cadet, and Vice President and Tech Support at Atelier Ivaan.

Here's an excerpt from Angus' email, reminiscing about his close relationship with "Avunculus", the Latin word for Uncle, which was Ivaan's nickname:

"Today I was fondly remembering all of the great times I shared with you and Avunc.  Whether it was eating at Le Commensal, or setting off fireworks, giving him the Doctor Death foot massage, or just hanging out at the studio, I cherish all the moments we shared.  He was, and will forever be the cool uncle I was always talking to my friends about.  I miss him terribly."

It might have been a difficult day yesterday, marking another year without Ivaan, but every time I felt gloomy, I went to the computer, reread Angus' email and was instantly cheered up.  Did I mention that Angus is also a fine writer?  Well, I guess you can sense that already.

I don't think I can say it better than Angus said it, but Ivaan, we remember you with warmest love and miss you more than we can say.



No comments:

Post a Comment