Saturday, September 11, 2010

THE TRAFFIC STOPPER: The One That Got Away



Every so often, Ivaan would have an extraordinary fit of inspiration and create a wax original of a piece of jewellery that, because of the complexity of the design, could never be duplicated.  The Traffic Stopper, as it has come to be known, is a case in point.  I'd have been perfectly happy with this, if the ring in question had actually fit me.  Even if it had come close to fitting me, I'd have taken the risk of giving it a little stretch, but The Traffic Stopper is a bit of a Cinderella's Glass Slipper, and it either fits you or it doesn't.  If it does, you get to go to the ball, meet Prince Charming and live happily ever after.  If it doesn't, you get to stay home and sweep.

Our friend Sonia was visiting one day and trying on jewellery.  As fate would have it, she tried on this ring and it fit perfectly.   As a matter of fact, it practically jumped out of the tray and landed on her finger.  It's so different from the other Ivaan pieces she owns and yet it's so clearly at home on her.  It was she who named it The Traffic Stopper, and it's very apt, because strangers do stop her on the street to inspect it. 

I'm glad it's out there in the world for people to see, even if it's not on my finger.  And now, if you will excuse me, I will get back to my sweeping.  Grrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment