Monday, March 6, 2017

THE REVEAL

When people are having their home renovated by professionals, there comes a time when the designer shows them the finished product. It's called The Reveal. All the reno mess is removed, all the dust is vacuumed up, everything is in place, and the whole house gleams.

When I am restoring or completing a piece of jewellery, we also have a reveal.

In my last post, I told you about the 1978 IVAAN ring that had been purchased at an antique store.  Here's what it looked like.


When I first saw it, it reminded me of the ring we call the Connie ring, which was quite a coincidence, because the name of the new owner of this vintage ring happens to be Connie as well.  Here's a Connie ring, made in yellow gold, so you can see the resemblance.



The Connie ring is about one third of the size of the vintage ring, but there's definitely a common thread, and I can't help speculating that the vintage ring was an early prototype of the Connie, which was made in 1980.

I have just finished restoring the vintage ring, and I am rather thrilled with the result.  There were some small holes in the side of the ring top, so I decided to drill them out and set three cabochon garnets in them.  Just like three little punctuation marks.  Now, I'll bet you don't think my efforts were a total waste of time, do you?  So, to the "new" Connie, and her husband Nik, who gave me such a thrill by buying the vintage ring in the first place, and then by letting me restore it, a very big thank you.  I hope you wear it in the best of health for many years to come.


And Nik took this phone of the lovely Connie and Lola, their daughter,  with me when they came by to pick up the restored ring.  Nik and Connie have a wonderful vintage shop in Hamilton called Vintage Soul Geek, in case you are ever out and about in downtown Hamilton.

Photo by Nikola Bulajic2017



No comments:

Post a Comment